So Iíve discovered that Iím completely incompetent when it comes to throwing barbecues. Thankfully, my friends are not.
When the gang arrived, they informed me that:
1. The grill must be cleaned from the previous barbecue before I can fire it up again
2. Burgers that are frozen solid must be thawed before grilling
3. Chicken requires some kind of sauce or marinade to give it extra flavor
4. Nineteen-dollar portable iPod speakers arenít powerful enough to generate sound in a huge outdoor space
5. You can never have enough ice because nobody likes warm beer.
After the third burger I flipped landed on the ground, my friends took pity on me and took over. (Actually, I think they stepped up more out of hunger than pityóthey realized they might never get to eat!) They whipped up some marinade from the spices I had in the cupboard, ran to the corner store for more ice and jerry-rigged my iPod to a stereo for better sound. While my pals slaved away over the fire, I was free to mingle with guests and refill their drinks. Thank God for my friends!!